Saturday, July 3, 2010

Ålesund - Part 2

Since I got past the historical blurb yesterday, here's the scenic pics from Alesund.
It really is a lovely town, but I'll start with a view, out to sea, from the Aquarium, which featured in an earlier post. The island to the left is Godøy.
And, since we're near the aquarium, I forgot to post a picture of these little guys last time. They're cute.
Now for the town itself. I think it's one of the most beautiful towns I've seen in Norway.
It burned down in 1904, and since all the buildings at that time were wooden, hardly anything survived. So the current buildings, with the exception of later architectural disasters, are all from the early 20th century.
I'll post some more architecturally interesting pics in a later blog, but here's one which gives a rough idea of what it's like.
As with all Norwegian towns, art features heavily. This was a nice way to enhance a gable end.
Here's a few general views, in and around the harbour area.




And back to art again. What in the name of creation is this meant to be????
For a full overview scene of Ålesund, there's only one place to go, Aksla. Overlooking the town, and accessed by either a climb up roughly 400 steps, or a long narrow road, it's well worth the effort.
At the top there's a restaurant and cafeteria, surrounded by balconies where you get a view like this.

To get a better view of that image, click on this link, then click on the image and click again to zoom. It's a beauty.

Onywye,
yun's aa fir enoo

5 comments:

  1. The most beautiful town in the world! I was born there and lived in the centre until I moved to Tomrefjord 31 years ago. Still missed Ålesund!

    The sculpture represent a cooper. LOL

    I blogged this sculpture the 4th of November in 2009. You are welcome to visit my blog "Thoughts about travelling and every day life".

    Written in Norwegian, but you can use Google Translate Website in left column. Some funny translations from Google, but you will understand the meaning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've gone backwards in your blog and are speechless. You really make a fantastic advertising of Norway!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comment. I fell in love with Ålesund the first time I visited. And Although my partner might not agree with me, I love Tomrefjord as well.

    Yes, I'll visit your blog, I can manage to read a little Norsk, but the translate will help.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And thanks for that second comment. I am blushing...
    I fell in love with Norway from the start, especially this area.
    My thought when I started the blog was that, if just one person reads it and visits this area, then I will have given a little pay back for the pleasure Vestnes, and Norway in general, has given me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, and by the way, my partner was born in Vik, in Tomrefjord. :) :)

    ReplyDelete