Thursday, May 13, 2010

Summer has arrived

On Tuesday morning I was contemplating thermal underwear because it was below freezing when I went to work. But, typical of Norway, things can change very fast, and today we were bathing in the glory of +20C.
This, of course, could mean only one thing, since I had a day off. Hard Work...
But before I did anything I sat down on a chair before the door, and had a look at the smaller things in life. Yes, more macro photography.
Damned ants are everywhere.

First job of the day was to move our satellite dish on to the new ground mount I had made. And although the mount is heavy and weighed down by about 150KG of concrete slabs, I know that it would never be able to stand up to a Shetland gale, but it'll do nicely here since there's never any wind, unless I've been eating beans.

But after this I had to set my sights a bit higher. And 'she who also carries a camera everywhere' took the 'bum shot' for today. Me up a ladder trying to clear the downpipe from the guttering.
While I was up there, and since I always have a camera on my belt, I got this nice view over the marina.
And an aerial view of our current gardening project, including my newly relocated dish.
Then we headed off to the garden centre near Tresfjord to buy some plants. The view east across the fjord from there is rather nice.
And here's the view north towards Molde. In the middle of the picture is Skorgenes, and to the right Vikebukt.
So, home with a car load of plants, shrubs, bushes, and a dear little bronze deer which I bought as an early birthday present for my peerie Trowie. Damned thing weighed nearly 40kg, so like the satellite dish, I don't think it'll blow away in a hurry.
Some of these small shrubs which we're buying in pots have a tendency to grow rather quickly. And, as an example, here's a picture of one that was just a pot plant 15 years ago. It's about 12 feet high now.
Some of the plants we bought are the start of a rockery feature to fill in a dead corner in the garden. I sat back and enjoyed the sunshine whilst 'she who gardens' got busy.
After she'd finished, this was the result.
Some of the small flowers, which I thought looked like sea anemones, and which I haven't a clue what they are, have an unusual historical use here. Because these plants have a lot of water in them, they used to be planted around the chimneys of grass roofed houses here to reduce the risk of fire from stray sparks from the chimney.

Anyway, that's all for this post, although I have another post about the stupidity of a local Shalder (Oyster Catcher)

No comments:

Post a Comment