Monday, November 22, 2010

Viking migration reversed?

About 1100 - 1200 years ago the Vikings from Norway descended upon the shores of Shetland.
History often depicts them as fierce warriors, but I tend to think of them more as migrants who decided to look for a better life elsewhere, who maybe got a bad reputation because the residents of Shetland at that time thought the Vikings looked a bit wild.
Now comes the interesting bit of my theory on Viking migration..
All those years ago the only real tough guys left Norway, leaving behind the more sedate, peace loving people who were the forebears of the current Norwegian people, and I think it's fair to say that you'll not find a nicer population anywhere in the world, just as long as you don't let them sail across the North Sea on holiday, and into the Thule Bar in Lerwick. It still amazes me how many people in Norway know that pub, and for all the wrong reasons.
But, I digress, back to what I started to post about.
When I arrived in Norway over 3 years ago I was a kinda lonely species here. My nearest relatives being a Shetland Sheepdog in Molde, and a few Shetland Ponies here and there throughout the community.
But in the Viking spirit, which has been bred into Shetlanders over generations, I decided to fight for a foothold in this foreign land by showing how hard Shetlanders can work.
I'll maybe never master the language, but I've proved that I can work. And on the basis of that hard work another member of the family has been offered a job here.
So, slowly, the Vikings are returning to their true home. Leaving behind the disaster that in commonly referred to as 'great britain' (lower case used deliberately).

Anyway, early next year "Peerie Rasmie" (that's a tentative nick name) will land in Vestnes...
The Vikings are back..
LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment