Friday, September 17, 2010

Winter is almost upon us.

Yesterday morning we saw the first new snow on one of the mountains we can see from the house.
Just a little sprinkle of white, a little bit like icing sugar on a cake, but it's a sign that winter is on it's way. Hopefully it's traveling slowly, or to use a Shetland word for going slow, 'Drittlin'.
Which reminds me of a story my mother told me about a small boy in school who was asked by a religious visitor to the school to describe how the prodigal son came home. The small boy answered in Shetland dialect, naturally, "He cam drittlin hame"

Speaking of my mother, today is her 81st birthday. Just spoke to her, briefly, since she has a house full of visitors. She's still as fit as a fiddle and as bright as any star, although maybe a bit deaf in the ear she always holds the phone to. LOL

And, lastly, perhaps any of my British readers can tell me if there is anything newsworthy happening in the UK just now. Reason I ask is that BBC News 24, which is my News channel of choice, seems to have forgotten that there is a world beyond the current UK visit of Pope Benedict.
Looking on the bright side of the Pope's UK visit. Although I have no thoughts either way on the Catholic faith, or any other faith other than my own beliefs, my thoughts on international politics have come to the following conclusion.
The Pope gets more TV time for his UK 4 day visit, than all other state leaders get for the whole year. Given the reported reputation of the Catholic Church, that doesn't, on the face of it, say a helluva lot for the other state visitors. Or are the others just too nice and clean to be worthy of news headlines? And that doesn't say a helluva lot for news reporting..

Onwye,
yun's aa fir enoo

2 comments:

  1. We had hail the other day, no snow yet, but it's definitely autumnal, is that hairst?

    As for the pope...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Horizontal force 8 hail is one thing I don't miss about Shetland.
    And, yes, Autumn is Hairst. Derived from Norse. The Norwegian word is Høst, which sounds a bit like hairst. Interestingly the Shetland word Voar (Spring) also has a direct parallel with the Norwegian Vår, and sounds identical.

    ReplyDelete