Monday, September 6, 2010

Lowry & Lowrie.

I've never been a great fan of paintings, as an art form, but since I was a small kid I was captivated by the paintings of L. S. Lowry, from Stretford, in Lancashire. His paintings were simple yet thought prevoking.
Lowry only painted what he saw, the way he saw it, and his talent was recognised worldwide, and I'd be frightened by the price tag which his works now command.
In 1978 Michael Coleman and Kevin Parrot, under the musical duet name of "Brian & Michael" (confusing), had a #1, one hit wonder with a song about L.S.Lowry:


So, what got me thinking about Lowry? Good question. Simple answer.

I have this song, by Alec Couper, on my mp3, called "Lowrie Sells his oo" (oo being the Shetland word for wool).
It's good fun. Enjoy



Alec Couper is a great example of the humour which can be found in Shetland. If you search for his name on YouTube, there are a few more songs which, although the dialect may confuse some folk, are accompanied by cartoon images, like the one above, which help the interpretation.

Yun's aa fir enoo

No comments:

Post a Comment