Friday, December 3, 2010

The cold weather continues,,,,

And continues,,,,
My favourite news channel is BBC News 24, so it's great to see Britain being gripped by the current cold spell. About time Britain had a bit of Arctic weather but many of the things reported just make the wife laugh. Schools closed because of a little bit of snow, and she's liable to ask "why can't the kids walk or ski?"
I do my best to explain that winter in Britain comes with gales and drifting snow, not the gentle snow which falls vertically in this area of Norway, then lies undisturbed by anything more than a little puff of wind.

But it's certainly been cold here this week. The highest temperature at work all week has been about -9C. It's been a few degrees warmer at home, near the entrance of Tresfjorden. And a few degrees colder at the head of the fjord.
The river which runs past the construction hall I work in has stopped flowing. And this picture makes it look as though it happened almost instantly.
But the cold air is nice for taking pictures. Here's a view from the work yesterday, just after 10am, when the sun was starting to shine on the town of Molde.
But there's not been much time for pictures, or anything else this week, since a lot of work has to be done before the Christmas break. Extra workers have been contracted in from Lithuania to help complete the jobs so the workforce is the highest now that it's been for a while.
Norway relies quite a lot on incoming workers to meet the demand for quality manufacturing, and the Lithuanians fit nicely into the system. I just wish they weren't such damned hard workers, I'm getting too old to keep up with them. But they're a lovely bunch of guys so I don't mind the fact that they're better than me.

Speaking of work, here's a pic of some ship sections which are under construction.
Not bad for a 1/4 second exposure.

Anyway, I've eaten too much tonight trying to replace calorie burned today, so I think the couch is calling me.
I'll have to see how long I can sit in front of our new TV before I fall asleep..... Likely no longer than I could with the old one... LOL

Best wishes to all readers for a happy and peaceful weekend.

(Or in Shetland: Hae a göd helly)

Yun's aa fir enoo.

No comments:

Post a Comment